Social Icons

Pages

Friday 13 March 2009

What it feels like to be in a complete strangers place

    Hi, welcome to my first ever blog in blogspot.com. Not that I don't have a blog before but,it seems that creating another one is not much of a hassle. I have created this account for about a year and it seems pretty empty. Therefore, I should begin writing down my thoughts starting from now on. I do have another blog but it is viewed mainly by my close friends only. This time around it should be rather general I guess.

   So,here I am first time in Sydney, Australia pursuing my dream of becoming a consultant. It feels strange the first time to feel out of place. I have grown up in a small town known as Melaka. Being accustomed to friendly people around me, venturing out to a place unknown quite be rather scary but, it ends up fine. I know quite a number of people here, mostly Singaporeans. I am also don't know why. They are very friendly and nice. However, the culture shock I endure is quite overwhelming. For the first time in my life, people said my chinese language proficiency in communication is rather odd. I was dumbfounded. Studying in a national school previously, I didn't have the chance to really learn chinese at all other than some simple tutoring by my big brother. 

   First of all, as a Malaysian, I do use quite a bit of "la,ma,ba liao". And some people find it weird. However, I myself find it very unique. As you can see, the great mastery of a language doesn't always depend on the native speaker. Let me remind you that the first purpose of learning a language is for other people to understand you. So, I am pretty proud of myself for the way I am. Secondly, I do mix and match the languages mainly bahasa,english,mandarin,cantonese and even hokien. To me, as long as the message got across,it is fine. I remembered I just meet this china student. He overheard when I was talking to my friend. I spoke in chinese that time but I added a word "apply liao" in my sentence. And he smiled and repeated after me,"apply liao". Then,only I realised it meant as a joke. I was so embarrased that time that I refused to use chinese anymore.

   Another thing I find rather interesting is the huge amount of foreign students studying here. Majority will be China. Anywhere you go, if you can't find a China citizen, you must be in the jungle I think. Every class I attended has at least two to three Chinese students. Besides, I don't mean to be rude here. Almost every single one of them has an English name. I was wondering,"Is it a necessary to have an English name?" I find that rather amusing. They try pretty much to be Australians that some even copy their accent. So fake but, well what can you say when people try to adapt to their surrounding, I am still be so proud and arrogant being a Malaysian. But I am just being me. Even Malaysian seniors of mine do have the accent after a year studying here. In fact, I purposely mentioned to other people my full name even though I have an English name because it sounds more like me. Haha... Sounds weird right? I am a weirdo. A weirdo living in Sydney. to be continued......

No comments:

Post a Comment

rulez for me

Blog Archive