Social Icons

Pages

Wednesday 23 March 2011

tiger mom? says who?

i have just come across an article which writes about how an asian lady brought up in america by very strict parents. hence, she in return, treated her own children with the same treatment. to me, asians are always like that lar. so tough, even to the point i find where is the logic of being so strict. somehow this article brings back my own memory how i was used to force to memorise the multiplication table. actually i was kinda slow because i only finished that when i was 8. haha.... so much for the memorisation skill at such a young age.

actually, i hate anything to do with rote learning. but some experts are suggesting that pure rote learning isn't that bad for certain aspects such as mathematics and music skills. i was quite taken aback. does that mean i really have no talent in these two subjects? actually, it is the truth. i am good with numbers, just not excelling them. that's the reason finance seems so tough la.

in the article, the asian parents and even children are labeling american children spoiled. i can't agree less. although i have no such treatment after i entered primary school, i couldn't imagine children who are brought up without pressure from parents. will be quite a shock to me. the internal drive for me would be monetary( as promised by my late grandma). but i can't see any other reason for others to excel. pressure? pride? fun? challenging? the last one seem least likely. who learns to excel in a very young age unless pressured.

if i were to be a parent one day, i think i will be a strict one. trust me, i tolerate no nonsense. oppss.... maybe when i become a parent one day, i have different thinking. love them but don't spoil them. my mum never actually pressure me much with academics studies because she allows tv watching for 3 hours before examination day. i guess i am a lucky child. i always heard a friend telling me, " my mum keeps telling me to study. " and i would tell K, " my mum keeps pressuring me to sleep early. " with that, i rest my case. not all asian parents are tigers, just majority are. but mark my word, my mother also tolerate no nonsense for behaviour. if the number of canes are counted, i think both hands' fingers aren't enough.

blogger who is having thought whether finance could be mastered through pure memorisation. hell no! it requires genetics. can transfer him some? wait, what is genetics?

music airing at the moment: all i ever wanted by Train

No comments:

Post a Comment

rulez for me

Blog Archive