Social Icons

Pages

Sunday 29 April 2012

the bicycle


a glimpse at an old lady, who is the kopitiam owner, brings back a fond memory. it is not her who brings back the memory, it is the gesture she makes. she is brushing through her grandson's hair while reasoning in a complaint manner about how he should be a good boy.

it has been such a long, long time i have such a treatment. the last time i can recall is probably many many years ago. the most vivid one will bethe one when i was just waking up and went to my late grandma's house for dinner. i was in slumber mode and kind of annoyed for the fact that my sleep was disturbed. then, my grandma saw me sulking and decided to give me a peck on the cheek. yea, i was pampered back then. no wonder my colleagues kept accusing me of being a spoiled brat back home, which i vehemently denied. what's wrong with such a memory. i did not deny for a fact that i am one of the favoured grandchild. what was there to be complain about me?

as a child, i grew up very naughty and active. i ran everywhere. but i am not bad. i did my homework, did my very best academically. obedient. and my only splurge is good food. as a grandchild, i think i can be a role model. every grandparent wants to be splurge good food on his grandchild. it is the forsaken right given to grandparent. if a parent does it, everyone will say you spoil the child. if the grandparents do it, it is their right, mind you. no accusation and no blame.

and you know, i have unique experience as a child too, which i never tell anyone. i was chauffeured to school. but i ain't spoilt like those comfort seeking and material addiction brats. i was chauffeured in a bicycle. my grandpa sent me back from school everyday until i was able to cycle independently. aha. some teachers were asking me, is
that your grandpa? and the answer is a proud yes and a humble no. yes because i am privileged. no because they recognise my late grandpa for the reason his face is very red. i don't know why: drinking, working under sun for a long period of time, genetics? i have no idea.



indeed, growing up with grandparents come with great perks and benefits. i see no reason why parents nowadays want to live far far away from their own parents. do you know grandparents have instilled a sense of belonging to a child. if they grew up without such love, how will they act as one in the future?

i don't see myself cycling my grandchild in the future. but the least i could see myself splurging good food on him/her. the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment

rulez for me

Blog Archive